Sunday, November 2, 2008

Our hunter and his bear



In my effort to stay caught up I'm finally getting around to posting about Halloween :) It was a CRAZY day, but the kids had a lot of fun. We decided to go trick or treating at all the businesses downtown before heading to the Trunk or Treat and carnival at the church. It was fun to see tons of people we knew, and to visit a few businesses I generally don't have the ambition to take my kids into. Then we rushed home to grab some pizza (eaten in the car on the way) and headed to the church. I had to get there a little early since the young women were in charge of a couple of carnival booths. Garrett got SO much candy, and Lauren looked in awe as everyone kept adding candy to her bucket. It was pretty cute. At the carnival they had a blast at the fishing pond, pumpkin bowling, and Lauren's personal favorite was the apple on a string booth. She ATTACKED that apple, I seriously wish I had that on tape. SO funny! She never did get a bite in while the apple was hanging on the string, but she had fun watching the other kids and trying. We came home and let them raid their stash for a bit before popping in a movie for them to watch and then finally off to bed. I was exhausted, and really felt it the next day too. Lauren and I took a LONG nap on Saturday while Todd and Garrett cleaned the garage and made a workout area in there. Then I got up and finally canned another batch of pie filling (only 7 quarts this time). It was my first time doing ANY canning by myself (OK, Todd helped with the apple peeler/corer/slicer part) and I was soooo nervous waiting for those things to seal...I even called my mom to ask her if she thought I processed them long enough. I had to leave so I couldn't check on them until later and was really anxious to see. They ALL sealed though, I'm so excited to finally have accomplished that task all by myself. I never thought I'd say this....but I'm so grateful to my mom for teaching me this skill. From the time I was very little I remember going out to the orchards for apples, pears, or peaches and then having the very daunting chore of helping can them all. I'm sure I complained every year too. I bet my mom's just waiting for the moment when she gets to hear my kids complain to me about having to help can...what goes around comes around, right?!

Lauren and baby Roger downtown...

Garrett with his stash. LOVING those ears :)
Do you see all that candy on the floor around her?! She was just taste testing everything.
Cheesin' it up!

Even the baby dressed up this year :) Don't mind the stain on my shirt...apparently I have forgotten how to drink out of a cup!

4 comments:

AOlson said...

Cute Halloween pics Shana!! I like yours the best!

Kreanna & Shana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kreanna said...

So cute!! Love those ears!!

Velvet said...

Love the costumes and the wearers. The soccer ball made me laugh:)