Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Spring Break 2011

This year Spring Break just happened to coincide with a conference Todd was scheduled to attend in Seattle. We decided to pack up the kids and make it a family event. While Todd attended his classes I took the kids to the Seattle Aquarium and Pike's Place Market one day, and Woodland Park Zoo the next. At first I was a little intimidated to take the kids out by myself, but I'm so glad I got over that because we really did have a great time. I was surprised at how quickly we got through the aquarium, so we went back through part of it again. I was in no hurry to walk back up the hill to where I had parked (waaaaaay too far away) so I just let them go at their own pace. One of the places we spent the most time was at the flannel board with an ocean background and lots of flannel fish to move around. The tide pools were high on the list of favorites, and so were the seals and sharks. Nemo and Dori are always a highlight too. By the time we got back I was exhausted, my head and ear and tooth hurt (pressure left over from a sinus infection), and my back was killing me for some reason. I took an hour nap as soon as Todd got back and woke up feeling even worse. The clinic across the street wouldn't see me (because I wasn't a King County resident of all things) so we ended up at the ER. A few hours later I ended up with a prescription for pain pills which I didn't want to take because of my pregnancy. She said it was safe, but I don't like pain pills anyway and wanted to get confirmation from my doctor before taking anything. The kids were all sacked out on the couches by the time I made it out to the waiting room. Sooo....we got me some Tylenol and headed back to the hotel. Of course the next morning I woke up feeling fine!



The zoo was a crazy whirlwind of requests to go see this or that animal and back to see the ones that somehow one child might have missed the first time around. Of course the favorites were the tigers, the elephants, and the jaguar. We hit the bug exhibit on the way out and had each of the kids thoroughly weirded out. The lady in the exhibit even fed a spider while we were there and Garrett wouldn't go near it.


One thing Todd and I noticed about Seattle (not that this was news to us), is the diversity that we saw in the University District. You see people of all races and religions and personalities. It was almost like being in a foreign country compared to our little town. We felt a little funny toting our 3 kids around too, epecially amongst all those college kids. All in all we had a great time and I'm so glad we made the decision to go. It was great making memories with the kids, I only wish that Todd had been able to join us for more of the fun.

No comments: