Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Little Big Man's Big Day!

It's a strange feeling, sending your firstborn off to Kindergarten. All day. Every day. You begin to wonder....did I teach him enough? Did I prepare him enough? Teach him not to talk to strangers? To be nice to everyone? Those and a million other questions ran through my mind as I walked home after dropping him off in his classroom Tuesday morning. Can you tell he was a little nervous? He was acting very shy (BIG surprise), and would hardly leave my side. UNTIL! His buddy Jake showed up...then all was right with the world. He was still acting very shy, but at least he had Jake and another friend, Gunnar, to rely on. I knew in my heart of hearts that he would be absolutely, completely and utterly fine.....so why was I letting myself doubt? All day I thought about him, worried about him. Again, so many questions flooded my mind. Is he scared? Is he going to eat enough? Is he going to listen to his teacher? Is he going to be OK on the bus? We got home and both girls decided to take a nap. Great! Then I had nothing to do BUT worry ;). We eventually made it to playgroup and the store, and by the time I got things put away and the girls settled in it was almost time for him to be home. The bus was running a little late, but he finally made it home. He ran in the house and started gulping down water straight out of the faucet, guess he was thirsty?! When I finally got him to answer my question, "How did it go?" He replied, "It was so cool!" I can't tell you what a RELIEF that was! He was already telling me what he wanted for lunch the next day and how he was going to ride the bus in the morning, that I didn't need to take him. Again, HUGE relief, and yet....... just a twinge of sadness. How my boy is growing up! Sniff, sniff!
The details:
Teacher: Mr. Klepec
Backpack: Transformers, Optimus Prime OF COURSE!
Lunch pack: Spiderman, with a turkey sandwich, cheez-its, applesauce, and a juice pouch.
Favorite part of the day: P.E. and coloring!

Day #2 today and he's still loving it, and ready for more. Yay!

7 comments:

Chad and Jaycie said...

That's awwesome that he loved it! I asked Cason if he liked Kindergarten cuz today was his first day too and he said, "It just wasn't cool!" Those two crack me up. Back to Garrett....he seems so much older than he really is, and such a good kid!

Aletha and Brian said...

Oh, can I just say...I LOVE that kid!!! He has the best personality, he cracks me up! I'm glad he had a great first day!

Velvet said...

I love to hear it is going so well and that you held up so well also. I don't think you need to worry. You are a wonderful MOM !

Cox Family News said...

Cherish these days! I would go back in a heart beat!Save the tears for when their 16, out with the family car and their an hour passed their curfew. Garrett is so cute! He would never do anything like that anyway.
Love,
Aunt Lorrie

ab5cgang said...

Oh that is great. I loved your post. You are so much better than me. I am really glad he likes it.
Goes to show you even when they are shy they can do great.

Emma Hox said...

Woo Hoo, School Days! I hope he loved it!

Going Family said...

Very Exciting! You don't find men kindergarten teachers very often. Garrett's going to love being in school.